Thursday, August 19, 2010

Akeelah and the Bee

Today I’ve decided to watch “Akeelah and the bee movie.” I watched on the YouTube to recall what I have learned from the story. The story is about an eleven year-old Akeelah Anderson's life which is not easy: her father is dead, her mom ignores her, her brother runs with the local gangbangers. Despite of being a smart girl, her environment threatens to strangle her aspirations. Responding to a threat by her school's principal, Akeelah participates in a spelling bee to avoid detention for her many absences. Much to her surprise and embarrassment, she wins. Her principal asks her to seek coaching from an English professor named Dr. Larabee for the more prestigious regional bee. As the possibility of making it all the way to the Scripps National Spelling Bee looms, Akeelah could provide her community with someone to rally around and be proud of -- but only if she can overcome her insecurities and her distracting home life. She also must get past Dr. Larabee's demons, and a field of more experienced and privileged fellow spellers. There are many things she has to face to be a successful girl.
This movie actually teaches me how to teach. From the movie, I learned that there are a lot of efforts needed to help people to make a real life. The most important things that I have to gain are determination, encouragement, braveness, and knowledge. From the character of Akeelah, I know that I have to be determined in doing my job and completing my tasks. I can’t surrender easily despite the challenges that I will face later. Besides, I will always give encouragement to my students and help them as much as I can, just like what Dr. Larabee did to Akeelah. I also have to be brave, as I will need it to live in this challenging profession. And of course, knowledge is a must in everything. Thus, I’ll need to learn more to gain all these.

1 comment:

  1. akeelah is the most perfect example of gifted child with a good memory aand she still work hard just like any other speller. it show,it doen't mean if you got gift you can be sucess,but it alsp need a hard work to get it.

    ReplyDelete